Summer Sunshine Means More Fun in the Highland Lakes
Home to five lakes, the Highland Lakes of Burnet County is made for summer. While it might be too hot to do anything else, it is never too hot to hit the water whether on a boat or Jet Ski or just jumping in from a dock, beach or rope swing.
Each of the lakes has its own personality and popular places to swim. A good way to find your personal favorite is to start at the top and work your way down:
- Lake Buchanan: The largest of the Highland Lakes, Lake Buchanan is known as a fisherman’s lake.
- Inks Lake: One of the smaller lakes, it is also the least developed. Home to Inks Lake State Park and Devil’s Waterhole, a popular swimming hole.
- Lake LBJ: A great place to boat and party, Lake LBJ (along with Lake Travis) is the most popular.
- Lake Marble Falls: The smallest of the lakes, it features shoreline access as well as daunting cliffs. It’s perfect for personal watercraft.
- Lake Travis: Winds through the Texas Hill Country connecting Marble Falls to Austin. Lake Travis has multiple personalities with areas great for fishing and others perfect for swimming and boating. It’s so big it can be both a fisherman’s lake and a party place.
The summer also means festivals and fireworks. When the sun sets on the Fourth of July, six communities in the Highland Lakes set off fireworks, most bursting in mid-air over bodies of water that sparkle with reflected splendor.
The lakes are not the only great places to swim. The Highland Lakes boasts several amazing swimming holes, including Krause Springs in Spicewood, where cypress trees line natural springs that flow into a natural and a man-made pool.
While planning your trip around the water in the Highland Lakes, check out some of the events that come up in the summer. You might want to work them into your plans as well. To keep track of events, visit thehighlandlakesofburnetcounty.com/events.
SATURDAYS THROUGH NOVEMBER
Burnet Farmers and Crafts Market
JUNE 9 Colorado Rivers Association River Heroes @ Lakeside Pavilion 4:30-7PM
Burnet County Fair
Marble Falls Fireworks Spectacular
Marble Falls Open-Pro Rodeo